Au Revoır Parıs and Selam Istanbul!

Time for another update from the road! 

Last time I left you guys, I had just spent a pretty productive day marching around Paris. That night ended up being a bit more of a chill evening as both myself and the Aussie girls I had been traveling around with were exhausted.  To treat ourselves for such a productive day, we decided that we would sample some of the French cusine in the area.  We chose a restraunt called Marmite, not to far from the hostel and i had a delicious lamb dish that I would definitely recommend for anyone visiting Paris!  (num num)

Kirra and Cate on the Streets of Paris

The next day, the girls and I decided to split up as they wanted to check out the Louvre and I wanted to see the Musee D’Orsay.  Wow! what a museum! Some of the most beautiful works of art i have ever seen. What was really cool was the museum was hosting a Van Gogh exhibit so I got check some of his most famous works including his self-portrait.

After the art museum, I decided to wander about for a bit before I tried heading to the catacombs of Paris, where some of the bodies from the French revolution are buried. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the catacombs, they had already closed the line for the day. To cheer myself up, I decided to buy myself some Macarons, these cute colourful cookie-esque desserts that have become quite a fad around the world.  I ended trying three different flavours, including lavender, salted-caramel (apparently very French) and Mojito (not particularly French but still delicious).  


That evening, I reunited with Cate and Kirra and we made a delicious pasta dish that was the envy of all the other backpackers in the hostel. Unfortunately that I night I also learned the terrible news that I would  have to get up at 3:45 am to take a shuttle to the airport because my flight left before the metro started in the morning.

Note to all travelling friends, cheaper flights don’t always work out to be cheaper if you have to pay 37 euro to get the airport 😦

Yesterday was spent, sleeping on planes and in airports. After arriving at Charles de Gaulle, I boarded my flight destined for Warsaw. Unfortunately for me, my flight was delayed by a few hours. My orginal intention was to leave the Warsaw airport and check out the city, but I neded up only having and 1 and a half hours until my next flight, and I still needed to clear through EU customs.

Arriving in Istanbul was completely amazing.  The metro/street car ride through the city to get to my hostel, was jaw-droppingly beautiful.  The thing that comes across instantly about the city is that it is OLD. And by Old I mean 700 years older than Senor Jesus Christo.

I got to my hostel, no problem and ended up making some new friends at the hostel’s rooftop patio and bar. So far today, I hopped on a commuter ferry and headed over to the Asian side of Istanbul.  While less touristy than, the region my hostel is in, it’s still nice to be able to say that I’ve been to Asia. 


Well, that’s about it for now, I’m planning on hitting up the huge market this afternoon, in search of some new treasures! I’ll give you an update as soon as I can!

Later days! 



One response

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s